How to Preserve Pata Negra Ham?
The pata negra ham is one of the most valued and sought after delicatessen by foodies and lovers of gourmet products. In order to enjoy this marvel of Spanish gastronomy in all its expression, we recommend you to follow a couple of simple tips. Read on to get the most out of your pata negra ham, whether you have bought a whole piece or sliced and vacuum-packed.
What is pata negra ham?
The expression ""Pata Negra"" has been used in the Spanish ham world for decades to refer to the best Iberian hams, but commercially the current regulations only allow it to be included in 100% Iberian breed hams, which have been raised in the wild and have been fed with acorns and natural grass. Authentic pata negra ham must have a black flange that certifies its quality and traceability.
How to preserve pata negra ham?
When preserving pata negra ham, we must take into account the format in which it was purchased:
If you buy the whole piece of pata negra ham.
Ham, being a cured product, is easy to preserve. However, you should follow some basic rules if you want to preserve its aroma and flavor from start to finish.
- Keep the whole piece in a cool, dry place, preferably in a ham holder.
- Once the ham has been started, bear in mind that it is best to consume the whole piece within 25-30 days. In this way you will ensure that the ham maintains its flavor and quality at 100%.
- Cut only the ham you are going to consume at that moment, do not cut more to store it in the refrigerator, as it will lose some of its qualities.
- Place a clean cotton cloth on top of the ham when you finish cutting it. This will prevent the ham from coming into contact with light and air, two elements that cause the ham to oxidize and dry out more quickly. You can also wrap the ham in cling film.
If you buy sliced pata negra ham
Buying ham already sliced and vacuum-packed is an option we always recommend. Especially if there are few of us at home, we do not have the necessary tools to cut the ham or we do not have the necessary practice to cut it properly. It is the easiest way to enjoy pata negra ham, but we recommend that you follow some simple steps to get the most out of it:
- It is not necessary to keep it in the refrigerator. It is enough to keep it in a cool, dry place, such as the pantry.
- Every time you open an envelope, try to use it all at once, since once opened it begins to lose its flavor and aroma properties. As each sachet of pata negra ham contains between 80 and 100 grams, this is quite simple.
If you have come this far, it is because you are interested in Spanish cuisine or its culture. If you would like to learn other recipes, you can Subscribe to our Newsletter, through which we keep you informed every week. In our online shop you will find products such as Jamón Serrano, Jamón Pata Negra, products for the preparation of tapas and paellas, Olive Oil or Wines from several regions of the Iberian Peninsula.