We love eating without cutlery, I think it brings us closer to food and our natural instincts. And what could be better than eating with your hands than a good sandwich?
Today I bring you a recipe that is as simple as it is hard to beat, the Serrano ham and Manchego cheese sandwich. Two of the most iconic products of Spanish gastronomy, irremediably together between two slices of white bread.
Choosing the right ingredients
For a good Serrano ham and Manchego cheese sandwich to become the best sandwich, it is essential to have quality ingredients and good white bread.
For the Serrano ham, we recommend a thinly sliced Serrano ham, although you can also use Serrano shoulder, the result will be practically the same.
For the Manchego cheese, the best option is a semi-cured Manchego cheese, with an intense but mild flavour, which goes perfectly with the flavour of the Serrano ham.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 white bread rolls or one baguette
- 200 g semi-cured Manchego cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g sliced Serrano ham
- Grated tomato (optional)
- Slice the bread rolls or baguette lengthwise.
- Toast the bread for a few seconds, you can toast it in a toaster or directly in a frying pan.
- While the bread is toasting, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. Cut the Manchego cheese into thin slices. You can buy the ham sliced in a slicing machine, or cut it directly with a knife if you have a ham holder and a ham knife.
- Once the bread is toasted, add a few drops of oil to the inside of the bread, and if you wish, you can add a little grated tomato.
- Finally, assemble the sandwich with a couple of slices of Serrano ham and another couple of portions of Manchego cheese and it is ready to eat. You can accompany your sandwich with a beer or a young red wine.